Monday, January 11, 2010

Still Walking

I try to make six miles a day. Sometimes in two parts. My favorite spot is going through down town Highland Park. Passing the same way time and again you begin to see familiar faces. The first several times you pass, you make eye contact. Then comes a "Hi". Maybe later,"nice day". Some even stop for a small chat. I met a Spanish lady who stopped every time we met. Very friendly. I ran into her in Dunkin Donuts. We exchanged pleasantries. Don't even know her name. But we talked for ten minutes.

Several people are fixtures. I see them almost daily. One man is Ira. Nice enough man. Dressed fairly well. Stopped me many times to chat. Then asked me to loan him five dollars. I gave him two. I told him my name. He said he would repay me. Now he calls me Howie, and asks for a loan. I usually give him one or two.
Another fixture is an old Polish guy. I must have passed him scores of times. Never said boo. Never smiled. No eye contact, Then one day in a parking lot, he saw me getting into my truck. "Hey he said" in a thick accent. "Why you not walking" We chatted for about five minutes. Told me all about himself. Now when we meet we stop to chat.
Last week, I heard foot steps. Keeping the same pace as me. I thought, speed up or slow down. I like to do it alone. Then I heard a sweet feminine voice "Where you going" it said. I looked. She was young. I told her I was going to B B Big coffee shop. We went about six blocks together. She was a post grad student walking to the Cook College lab. What a nice visit. When I turned off we stopped for a while to finish our exchanges.
There are more stories. I'll save them. I wonder how long I'll have to go through Highland Park before I become a fixture?

No comments: